Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Free falling.

9/15/10 - 7AM. I discover a crick in my neck. I'm guessing it has something to do with being used as a certain someone's body pillow, but I've never been one to point fingers. Regardless, after spending the workday having to turn my entire body everytime I went to butt into someone else's conversation, I opted for an emergency appointment with my chiropractor, Dr. Stein. Of course, Dr. Stein was busy with another patient once I arrived so I got shoved off onto another doc who thought my name was Shara. After my 15 minutes of whatever it is they do, I was walking a bit taller and ready to attack my afternoon.

Here's where my plan hit a snag. I get on the waiting elevator, press L and get into my elevator stance just as the door closes. I wasn't really paying any attention until we hit floor number 9, when all the sudden the elevator started to shake. What happened next can only be described as something between a sliding shake and a free-fall. For 9 floors I thought that this might be it. Somehow between the terror and anger I had a few fleeting thoughts. I thought of my parents. Of my boyfriend and of the Gatorade I was supposed to be bringing him. I thought of our dog Quincy. And somewhere between floors number 3 and 2, I thought of cheese. No one type of cheese per say, but more of an assortment. Hard cheeses. Soft cheeses. Runny cheeses! I love them all.

After a few choice words with the elevator operator and a few more trips up and down the 16 story building, I was finally freed. I walked out in a daze, confused about what had just happened to me, and into the loving arms of a nearby Duane Reade Look Boutique. I picked up a few essentials. Mascara. Shampoo. Conditioner! They've got it all. As I wobbled to the register, something familiar caught my eye. A cheese tray; simple and perfect, and waiting just for me.

Moral of the story? Life is short, eat cheese.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment